2020-12-29 By Maya Pillai
People are now getting conscious about not using materials that would harm our planet. Many eco-friendly alternatives are available in the market. You tend to sought out those materials. For instance, we prefer paper over plastic bags. Paper bags are taking up a major market and replacing plastic bags. However, you need to understand whether it is really feasible to turn to paper bags.
You Can’t Say Paper Bags Are Any Better Than Plastic Ones
Here are the points that show that paper bags are no better than plastic bags –
- In landfills, the paper bags do not decompose faster than plastic. The paper does not get any air, light or oxygen there. Therefore, in such unfavorable situation the paper takes almost the same amount of time to decompose as the plastic.
- Paper bags have more impact on landfills as they take more space.
- We already know that producing paper consumes much more energy than plastic. Moreover, it depletes the very natural resource which works against pollution by fixing carbon dioxide and releasing oxygen. You have to cut down many trees for this purpose. It has a huge impact on the environment.
- In truth, paper bags create more air and water pollutants than plastic.
- It is even harder to recycle a paper bag than plastic. You need to put at least 91% more energy to recycle a paper bag.
This doesn’t mean that plastics are any better than paper bags. It is hazardous to both environment and your health. It is far better to use reusable bags. You can get custom printed bags from Custom Earth Promos. They specialize in custom bags and most importantly they are an eco-friendly company based in Florida, USA. They have over 10 years of experience in providing customers with high quality products in factory price.
How Convenient Is It To Use Paper Bags?
The most common discomfort with paper bags is that they hardly can handle harsh treatment. They can carry very limited items and has less strength than other materials. If they get just a little wet, it would fall apart. Thus, you can hardly use it multiple times. Since, it has low durability you have to dispose them frequently.
Whereas, a reusable bag is convenient to use for many times and you can also wash it to clean the spills. You just need to dry it properly before the next use. It also has more strength than a plastic bag.
What About the Recycling Process?
The paper bag goes under a lot of process before it is finally recycled. These processes are very extensive and time consuming. After collecting the paper, you have to sort it out properly both by machine and hand. You then have to wash the separated paper items and make them into sludge.
This sludge then goes under further processing to reach the final output. These processing require large machines and huge energy consumption. Therefore, it depletes resources faster than the planet can produce.