2018-12-23 By Maya Pillai
You need something, you buy, borrow or acquire it one way or another. As long as there’s a population (which is growing very fast), trade will continue. Buying goods from one another is the essence of business in whatever form. When you need products that aren’t within your local country, they ah veto be exported, and the products are very many. The export and import business is lucrative. You bring in what people want, sell it via your supply chain and earn your returns. Simple, right? The simplicity lies in your business model, and if you are interested in the import and export trade, you need to up your game.
How to Start an Import/Export Business
Prepare yourself for a ton of logistics, and that is not all, you’ll have to come to terms with international economics and much more. It may be a great idea to possess an excellent background in business, international relations, and global finance. With such data, you are going to comprehend processes that you need to go through before you can sell or purchase a product from an overseas supplier. You need to possess knowledge that goes beyond borders. Some things like the price of any Export containers need to be at your fingertips.
- Choose a business name and establish a website: Since the network is vital in the import and export business, you need to possess a perfect site that creates your global link. The main aim here is to balance the flow of correspondence, sell your products online or offline and build your customer base.
- Settle on a product to import and export: Well, you cannot do everything in the export and import business; choose a product and settle on it.
- Locate the appropriate market: Now that you possess a product, choose where you want to sell it. Utilize current trends in the sale of this product to spot the perfect market.
- Set a price for the product: The price needs to be set based in the volume as well as the commission on that volume.
- Locate customers for your business: You can do this via numerous means like SEO optimization and other physical means.
- Create a safe logistics department: This will cater for transporting the products to where it needs to be so that it can be sold.
Which Business Model Is the Best?
Well, in the export/import business, people typically charge based on a commission or a retainer. Via the commission structure, you get a percentage rate for any trade deal that you complete. On the other hand, if it is through a retainer, your client is going to pay you a monthly fee. There’s also an alternative model whereby you can simply purchase and sell goods and make a margin. When you figure that a certain product will be straightforward to sell, choose a commission model. Of course, a retainer would be more appropriate for products that are hard to sell. Those who are confident in their business skills, can go for the alternative model and take all the risks. The import/export business is quite impressive. After you get the hang of it, you will make a lot of money no matter what business model you settle on.